***** FIREFOX 123.0 COMPATIBILITY ISSUES *****
Feb. 21: Firefox's most recent update, version 123.0, released Feb. 20, has rendered the functions for choosing the death and publication dates on this website inoperable. This is an issue with the browser, not the site itself, and has been reported to Mozilla, makers of Firefox.
To check your version, on a PC, click "Help," then "About Firefox." On a Mac, click "Firefox," then "About Firefox."
If you find you have already been updated to Version 123.0, please use a different browser (Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge, Safari, Opera) to access this site, and the functionality should be available again.
Updates will be posted here as we learn more. As always, thank you for your patience and understanding.
The News-Gazette has adjusted its publication schedule as of Feb. 10, 2024. As delivery will now be handled by the U.S. Postal Service, the Saturday and Sunday editions have been transitioned to a Weekend Edition that is delivered on Saturday and available at single-copy outlets on Saturday and Sunday. It will retain the largest circulation of the week. In addition, a Monday edition, with an earlier deadline, has returned after a four-year absence.
This necessitates changes in obit deadlines, which will be affected in the following ways:
- Obits for publication in the new WEEKEND EDITION must be received and paid for no later than 6 p.m. FRIDAY. Obits submitted after that time will not be published until MONDAY.
- Obits for publication in the new MONDAY EDITION must be received and paid for no later than 4 p.m. SUNDAY. Obits submitted after that time will not be published until TUESDAY.
- In addition, The News-Gazette's obit department will NOT be staffed on SATURDAYS. All correspondence received after deadline on FRIDAY will be returned beginning SUNDAY AFTERNOON.
- If you are using or planning to use a funeral home within The News-Gazette's publication area in East Central Illinois, PLEASE DO NOT USE THE PUBLIC SUBMISSION FORM without first contacting the funeral home. Many have their own accounts with the paper, and this will streamline the verification and payment processes.
- When providing information to verify a death, please include a funeral home name and website when possible. These can be entered either in the "Contact Person:" field under "Verification" or in the notes section at the bottom of the form.
- The News-Gazette does not publish on SUNDAYS. Any obits submitted for publication on a Sunday will be moved to the next Monday.
Thank you for your cooperation and patience.
Submit a New Obituary
How it works
After filling out the following form, providing all the necessary information, including death verification, the obituary
will be submitted for review. Our staff will review the obituary and, if any problems are found, contact you via phone or email.
After passing review, you will receive an email showing you how to pay for the obituary by credit card. Without payment, the obituary
will not be approved for publication. At any time, you can email email@example.com with any questions or with problems concerning this form.